History

The Germond Block was one of the more substantial and impressive buildings put up after the great fire of 1889. Eugene Germond built the four-story Germond Block after the fire and in this building he housed his Log Cabin Saloon.

Designed by the Reid Brothers of San Diego (and San Francisco), the building is a well-detailed but relatively simple example of the Romanesque Revival. The building’s upper floors were first used as Spokane’s seat of government while the new city hall was under construction in the early 1890s.

Germond’s Log Cabin Saloon on the main floor became a rendezvous for the French who were fairly numerous in the city at that time. The Log Cabin Saloon prospered there until prohibition in 1916.

Newspaper Clipping